Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Canonical Interview and Pre-cana seminar at Manila Cathedral

We were scheduled to have our canonical interview last June3. Louie and I were panicking over what the questions are going to be. As if the priest will not marry us if we get a wrong answer. So on our way to the church, I was reading about catechism. When we got there, we were the 2nd couple. The first couple were already civil wed in Italy I think. The groom was a foreigner and the bride was Filipina. So around 830 I think, the bride was called inside. And the groom was called next by 9am. I was thinking, 30mins per person...that's a lot of questions!! But after 10mins, the bride was called back inside to join her husband. And then another 10mins they were done.

I was then called inside..no time to ask the other couple. I entered the room using my extra sweet voice. I'm really bad with names so I think it was Msgr. Bautista who interviewed us.He was a bit old and he speaks in a super low voice so most of the time I had a hard time hearing what he was saying. He is usually the one conducting the canonical interview. Going back, I went in, he asked me to put my right hand on the bible and swear that everything I say will be the truth. And then he asked me to sit in front of him. He was holding the questionnaire that I filled up during the orientation.

Here's a list of what he asked:
-When and where were you confirmed?
-Do you know the stand of the church regarding family planning? (He then explained regarding the natural family planning)
-There's a part in the questionnaire wherein you will be asked if you are still going to marry your partner if you find out he/she is gay, he/she has a child, he/she is married and he/she is a drug addict/alcoholic/abuser. Father asked me regarding my answers to this questions. (Turns out Louie and I have the same answer that's why he joked that we copied from each other.) He explained regarding the church's stand on gays/lesbians.
-What was your biggest fight about?
-What don't you like about your husband to be?
-Where will you live?
-How many kids do you plan to have?

After around 10mins, I was already finished. Then Louie was called in next. Then another 10mins after, I was asked to join him. He again explained how natural family planning works. He also explained how trust is important. And then he explained to us the most important part of the wedding rites, which is the marriage vows. We recited the vows that we are going to say on our wedding day. It gave me the chills and I feel like we were being wed right then and there. He wished us luck and then were off.

The pre-cana seminar was scheduled that saturday, June 6. Tita Ofel gave the seminar. There were around 8 other couples, 2 of which were already civil wed. She gave us a brief background of her married life. What happened during the first years of her marriage. She explained to us the importance of Love, Trust, Honesty, Respect, Loyalty. One of the couples were even asked to demo the wedding rites (wedding rings). It was fun because it was like a casual discussion with my mom. Just giving a friendly advice of what to expect on married life.


4 comments:

  1. thanks for the heads-up... was curious what will be asked. We're having our interview this Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mukhang nakakatense nga :)..we will be having our pre-cana and canonical on Dec..better to be prepared.. thanks for your blogs..it will helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks a lot for the very detailed and informative blog...lots of couples will truly be happy to read this, ;-) I am one of them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Your post is very informative. I would like to ask if is there is any priest who is open to having the canonical interview online? Like my fiance will be there it's just that I will online through skype for the interview. I cannot go home to 1-2 months before the wedding due to work restrictions (working in a hospital in Saudi Arabia).

    Hoping for your response. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Countdown to Louie and Joyce's Big Day